9 of the best desk exercises
If you’re anything like us, your job means you’re generally sitting at a desk in front of a computer screen all day, and you probably suffer from aches and pains in your hands, neck, shoulders and back. We’ve collated 9 of the best desk exercises for you to try which, in most cases, won’t even mean leaving your desk!
- Take the stairs. Simple but effective, especially if you take them two at a time.
- Walk and talk. Visit colleagues for some face-to-face time rather than emailing or phoning them.
- Hip flexions. Sit in your chair and raise one foot a few inches off the floor. Keep your knee bent at 90 degrees and hold for 5+ seconds. Repeat with the other leg. You can also try this lifting both legs at the same time.
- Leg extensions. Sit in your chair and extend one leg out until it’s level with your hip. Hold for 5+ seconds. Repeat with the other leg.
- Shoulder lift. Raise your shoulder to your ear, hold then relax. Repeat, alternating shoulders. Alternatively, raise both shoulders, hold for 5 seconds then relax and repeat.
- Neck stretch. Touch your ear to your shoulder and hold it there. Relax and repeat with the other ear.
- Hand stretches. Tense and relax the muscles in your hands. Make fists, spread and bend your fingers (this one is great if you use your mouse a lot).
- Secret handshake. Sit with feet flat on the floor, clasp hands together as if you’re giving yourself a handshake, then pull. Hold for 10 seconds, release and repeat.
- Genie arms. Sit up in your chair with your arms folded at shoulder height (like a genie!). Swing your arms from side to side in that position, keeping your ribcage and spine stable.
If you have any others which work for you, we’d love to try them out so give us a call on 01420 568127 or send us an email and we’ll include them in a future Blog.